[Updated: Wednesday 10th March, 15:30]
lots of care
Due to COVID-19 developments in Birmingham, upcoming sessions of The Floating Front Room will require lots of care from all involved.
[Updated: Friday 11th September, 22:30]
How to Show Lots of Care
at The Floating Front Room
- Strictly keep 2 metres distance between yourself and those outside of your household or support bubble at all times, including all members of The Floating Front Room team.
- Wear masks if you are able to do so. We always have these available for free.
- Hand sanitise regularly. We have multiple sanitisation stations near The Barge for your use.
- Spend time in groups of no more than 6 people (unless your support bubble exceeds this size).
- Spread out across the park as much as possible, and do not convene in areas of the park where groups are already gathered.
- Do not congregate around The Barge.
- Please do not go onto The Barge, even the outside decks, unless you are a member of our team.
- Take home any blankets that you use, and do not unnecessarily touch anything. If you read a book, or use a conversation menu, please take it home, and keep it as a gift from us to you.
Due to COVID-19 developments in Birmingham, upcoming sessions of The Floating Front Room will take place with limited activity.
[Updated: Sunday 3rd January, 16:30]
How to limit contact but not LIMIT care
at the floating front room
- We will remain open whilst Birmingham in Tier 4 to give anyone who needs it a reason to get outside, take a walk through the park in the fresh air, and see a happy face from afar.
- We are now open shorter hours for collection only on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, with a focus on takeaway drinks, cakes and Front Room At Home kits.
- Complimentary service through The Front Room Key will be restricted to 1 drink and 1 cake to limit interactions and time spent at The Floating Front Room. Additional items can be purchased to take away.
- Please hand sanitise before placing your order. We have multiple sanitisation stations near The Barge for your use.
- Do not congregate around or go onto The Barge, even the outside decks, unless you are a member of our team. We ask that you collect your order and take it away.
- Do not congregate in the park with anyone outside of your household or support bubble, and no in person activities will be taking place until further notice.
- Please keep 2 metres distance between yourself and those outside of your household or support bubble at all times,
including all members of The Floating Front Room team.
- Masks must we worn for the duration of your visit, unless you have an exemption. We always have these available for free if you need them.
Due to the severity of COVID-19,we are closed for the duration of January 2021 to keep our team and neighbours safe.
Please see our calendar for online activities as we grow them for 2021,
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need support / know someone who would like to receive a care package.
[Updated: Monday 11th January, 18:30]
The Floating Front Room
At The Barge, South Loop Park
Rotton Park Street, Ladywood, Birmingham, B16 0AE
wednesdays, saturdays + sundays
We’d love to invite you round to ours for a physically distanced, socially connected cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate at The Barge at South Loop Park.
The Floating Front Room is a space for neighbours, and friends to meet safely, connect with others from the area and beyond, process the present and dream of the future together too. Everyone is welcome, but if you are based < 20 minutes away from South Loop Park (B16 0AE) on foot or by bike, drinks and cakes are free for you through the Front Room Key. This is to warmly welcome those of you from the many different neighourhood(s) around us, beyond any fixed definitions of place, such as postcode(s), wards etc.
The Floating Front Room is the first opportunity to connect in person around exploring how to adapt the significance of the traditional front room beyond our homes and into our neighbourhoods and shared resources, and we’d love for you to join us for the early beginnings of that exploration together. Right now, The Floating Front Room is subject to government restrictions around COVID-19 to keep us safe, so please check details above.
what to expect
HOT DRINKS + CAKES
Meet the Floating Front Room Baristas for a selection of hot drinks served from the boat accompanied by delicious cakes from local guest bakers.
Each week we’ll serve up a menu of questions designed for stimulating neighbourly conversation to connect with family and friends.
Pick up a book from our collection of specially chosen titles to spark your imagination. Take a book, read it, love it, mark it, and pass it on.
On Saturdays, bring your bike along for a basic check by Ezo Cycles. Ask any questions about your bike and gain some top quality maintenance tips from Kwok.
Upcoming courses, workshops and adventures that you can participate in at the Floating Front Room in coming weeks.
Physically distanced, socially connected
A huge thank you to everyone who has visited The Floating Front Room since we opened with safety firmly in mind back in August 2020, and for showing lots of care to one another and our team during this challenging period. We care about the people of this city more than anything else. We are people of this city; our friends, families, neighbours, partners are the people of this city, and so are all of you that we’ve been lucky enough to meet through our work over the last decade. This love and care is what drives our decision-making, always, but now in a way that feels even more crucial than ever before.
Read more about our approach to The Floating Front Room during the pandemic in our archived COVID-19 statements.
Physically distanced, socially connected
Maintaining a distance of 2m between yourself and others will be mandatory at all times when visiting The Barge. Masks are also mandatory when ordering and collecting drinks, unless an exemption applies to you. Free masks and hand sanitiser will be available if needed.
Across the wider park, distancing must be observed with those outside your household or support bubble, in accordance with latest guidelines, but the wearing of masks is also encouraged as an additional precaution.
If you are feeling unwell, unable to meet in person, or just fancy connecting from home we are also hosting online events and meeting places, and can send you kits and activities in the post too.